. : s i e s t a : .

Monday, June 09, 2008

Journey to Bicolandia

I have been gone for a long while and I am finally back. I had been to Bicol with my family. It took us 13 hours to be there. We traveled by land. But if you travel by a domestic plane, it will just take you few minutes. But, it’s very expensive.

The last time we went to Bicol was few years ago. And Bicol now seems to be just the same as before, for me. Though, some roads are now solid, my favorite hanging bridge is now concrete and the padyak is now motored tricyle. There were few developments, but still Bicol is a bucolic province. It’s a province dominated by rich and fertile rice lands. Aside from its plains, Bicol is generally hilly and mountainous. It also has many rivers, lakes, bays, mountains, volcanoes, waterfalls, caves and spring. I am very lucky to see these beautiful and interesting spots again. One of my favorite spot is the majestic world’s nearly perfect cone Mayon Volcano. I am glad to see Mt. Mayon still with its perfect cone shape after many eruptions.

I was also fascinated by the Philippine’s 2nd tallest mountain, the Mt. Isarog. It’s an inactive volcano which has a rich diversity of flora and fauna.

I also found out that Bicol has its leaning tower too, similar to The Leaning Tower of Pisa. It’s called Leaning Tower of Milaor. It’s a beautiful and strong stone tower composed of three layers stood. I was curious about what’s inside the tower but I didn’t attempt to go inside. I was scared the tower might fall down.

Naga City is the nearest city where we stayed at. It was said that it is the heart of Bicol. It’s a commercial center and it’s where we often shop and buy foods. Naga is erected with many catholic churches mostly housed with image of Virgin Mary.

What I missed most to Bicol is its spicy dishes, called “Bicol Express”. Due to abundance of chili plants, it’s been a custom that foods in Bicol are generally spicier. Eating them is very challenging for me. But, it will really increase your appetite and will make you eat lusciously. Other famous native foods I ate here are rock n roll (colorful banana chips), Naga’s toasted siopao, pili nuts (found in Pili town) and the famous smallest edible fish, which is the tabios or sinarapan (found in Lake Buhi and Bato).

The people and culture of Bicol never changed. They are still very hospitable and entertaining. They are very joyful and kind. They still live with so many pamanhiin or superstitious beliefs.

I still find hard times of learning its dialect. But, I have learned few words and can understand few phrases when they were talking to me in Bikolano.

My stay at Bicol seems to be living from the past. There were no TV, DVD, music player and internet. But I enjoyed that simple way of living. Eating with my bear hands, sleeping inside the kulambo or mosquito net, and taking bath on farm’s water irrigation are my blissful experience in Bicol. It’s the place I would love to go back to. See you again, Bicolanos!;)

Labels: , , , , ,

posted by arnie at 8:15 PM

7 Comments:

do you have pikchurs? I'm quite interested in the leaning Tower of Milaor...

9:32 PM  

havnt/never been there..haha. sana. soon makita ko din yung mga kewl sites dun :D

6:41 AM  

@ paolo,
i didn't bring a cam. There some pix at my cousin's phone but i haven't upload it yet. anyway, here it is:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f182/arn019/milaor.jpg

@ daniel,
yup, you must see them. hehe... pag mamamasyal ka, unahin mo muna dito sa pinas bago abroad. hehe..:D

9:23 AM  

never been there! :(
akala ko friends mo ang mga kasama mo. sounds interesting yung places a? daya. di mo ko sinama. XC

8:11 AM  

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

11:09 AM  

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks

7:00 PM  

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

3:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home